Maxine Patterson School of Dance
Studio Required Dress Code
Why a dress code?
Dancers create lines and shapes with their bodies. In order for instructors to see the created lines and the correct use of muscle, leotard and tights are the required attire to wear for all classes.
Form fitting attire in black (ie, jazz pants, boy cut shorts with tights, leotards, etc) can be worn for tap, jazz, and lyrical classes.
Hair must be pulled away from the face during dance class to prevent distractions.
No jewelry is allowed in dance class.
Dress the Part of a Dancer
- Students wear pink ballet slippers with elastic.
- Students must also wear pink tights & black leotard for ballet/pointe classes.
- Students wear black buckle tap shoes (now required for all classes). Black lace up tap shoes are required for advanced classes. Please no black patent leather tap shoes.
- Students must also wear pink or tan tights with any color leotard for tap classes.
- Students wear black slip on jazz shoes.
- Students must also wear pink or tan tights with any color leotard for jazz classes.
- Students wear lyrical shoes or barefoot.
- Students must also wear convertible tan tights with any color leotard for lyrical classes.
Tights worn to class must be in good condition, no runs or holes.
Please note: Dress code will be enforced by instructors.
Please purchase all dance shoes at The Dance Connection, Hwy. 80, Pooler.
I try to have both pink and tan tights for sale in the studio. $8 child, $10 adult
Dance Class Etiquette
* Arrive for class early to stretch independently.
* Inform instructor of any injuries that prevent you from dancing full out during class time.
* Be on time. Punctuality is paramount to your success in a class.
If you arrive late you must ask permission to enter the class. Once permission is granted you must assume an open position at the barre to stretch and warm up.
*Adhere to the dress code. If students are not properly dressed for dance class, they may have to observe class for that day.
*Be quiet during class.
*Listen and try to apply every specific and general correction during class time.
Individual corrections are positive attention from the instructor so no matter how frustrated you may become, immediately try to apply the correction so the instructor may give additional guidance.
*Remain in your role as a student during class time. No matter how comfortable you feel with your classmates, do not offer corrections to them.
*NO Food or Drinks allowed in the studio. You may bring a water bottle with you.
*Mirrors are not to be touched at any time.
*Drink water and use restroom before class.
*Focus on your dancing.
*Cell phones are not allowed in the studio. We are not responsible for cell phone loss. They will be taken away if seen. We have a phone which students may use.
Following these basic rules of classroom etiquette will help maximize the dancer's artistic growth during class.
* Smoking is not permitted in the studio or outside on our property.
* Please remain quiet in the studio in order to maintain a disciplined environment.
* There will be no observing of classes unless approved by Mrs. Patterson.
* Visitors will be welcome during last week of classes before Winter Break.
* If class is cancelled due to weather or an emergency, a make-up class will be
scheduled. Please check website for updates. Make-up classes are allowed because of illness, but you must call to arrange for time and day.
* Dancers must remain in the studio after their class is dismissed.
No dancer will be allowed outside the studio unless their parent/guardian is present to pick them up from class.
* There will be a fee of $5 per 15 minutes or any part of 15 minutes that a parent is late picking up a child. Please make sure to pick your child up on time, don't use the dance studio as a day-care center.
* No parents, guardians, siblings are allowed in the studio during classes. If a family member is from out of town and wishes to observe class, permission must be obtained ahead of time.